Saturday, November 10, 2007

Nobody does sad like Ryan Adams

My friend Steve and I were having a conversation the other day about the greatest break-up songs of all time, and while we both agreed that "Divorce Song," by Liz Phair, "Gone For Good" by The Shins, "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson, "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" by Colin Hay, "Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles, and of course, "Always On My Mind" by Willie Nelson were serious contenders, after several beers, it was decided that Ryan Adams "Come Pick Me Up" just might take the first place ribbon. (It didn't hurt that Steve is gay and has something of a crush on Mr. Adams.) I haven't done the breaking up thing in quite awhile, but I was once in a miserable relationship with a leggy, neurotic blond who, frankly, didn't have the guts to end things between us even though she couldn't stand the site of me and I was still hopelessly in love with her. I found myself, at the time, wishing she would do something horrible so that I could hate her, like steal my records or screw all my friends, but instead she just never returned my calls. Our relationship died a painful, miserable, agonizing death that I now suspect was the emotional equivalent of waterboarding.

The point is, I'm not sure anyone captures heartbreak and loneliness better than Adams does. I'm partial to his Whiskeytown days (mainly because Caitlin Cary's violin fucking rules), and though I love "Jacksonville Skyline," "Bar Lights", "Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart (Tonight)" and countless others, I think that "Houses On The Hill" might be the most beautiful sad song ever written, solely based on the poetry of the chorus.

There were stars in the sky;
There were houses on the hill
and there were bottles of pills
that were easy to buy;
To keep her warm
from the oncoming storm.

Ryan is all sober now and cutting songs where Sheryl Crow signs backup, and with coke, heroin, some bad relationships, and an unfulfilled childhood now in his rearview, his art isn't quite fed by the same pathos. Does one have to suffer for great art? I don't know the answer. Nick Hornby argues that it certainly helps, here, in this McSweeney's essay about one of Adams best songs as a solo artist, "Oh My Sweet Carolina," which makes me miss Montana every time I hear it.

I ain't never been to Vegas but I gambled up my life
Building newsprint boats I race to sewer mains
Was trying to find me something but I wasn't sure just what
Funny how they say that some things never change

Oh my sweet Carolina
What compels me to go
Oh my sweet disposition
May you one day carry me home


Got a favorite sad song you'd like to share?


4 comments:

Julie said...

I think that the best breakup songs are the ones that are so simple and well-written that anyone can cover them and seem like a genius. "Always On My Mind," which wasn't even written by Willie Nelson, is a good example. If you can be covered by Willie, the Pet Shop Boys and Elvis and still have the song be no worse for wear, well, you have a winner. To wit:

1) "I Will Always Love You," by Dolly Parton. Written on her couch after she decided to leave her mentor and singing partner, the recently deceased Porter Wagoner, and strike out on her own. I read in the paper that she came and sang to Porter Wagoner in the hospital as he lay dying. I started crying, of course. Actually, I can't listen to her version of this song without bawling. I'll admit it.

2) "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart," by the BeeGees. Al Green did the definitive version.

3) "For the Good Times," by Kris Kristofferson. Covered by everyone from Isaac Hayes and Percy Sledge to Loretta Lynn and Faron Young. The ultimate one-last-fuck song.

4) "Today I Started Loving You Again," by Merle Haggard. It is impossible to screw up this song.

5) "Sleepless Nights," by Boudleaux and Felice Bryant. The simplest song ever.

Now the best unrequited love songs ... that's a tough one.

Julie said...

P.S. Volleyball Girl was retarded.

KVV said...

My comments about "Come Pick Me Up" predate Volleyball Girl. This was the girl prior to her, another leggy blond. Volleyball Girl and I actually had a rather mature breakup, and I have no sad feelings about her (despite some brief cheating while I was in Baltimore the first year). She did like a lot of bad music, but I can't hold that against her.

JSpeer said...

Oh crap, i thought this was all about *Brian* Adams. My bad.